Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Featured Artist- Needlings

I first ran across Needlings on Twitter, of all places. The little cute doll in her avatar grabbed my attention as much as the name. When I went to see her shop, I was happily amazed at the details that went into these dolls and bags, and I think you will be too!

1.Tell us a little about your craft, what is it and how did you get started in it?

Needlings started in 2007 when I made a little felt plush toy for a little special needs girl my mom, a nurse, takes care of. I have always loved making things but the first happy-making little handsewn face was the start of many more to come for me. I began making The Needlings plush and writing little stories for them to satisfy my writer's bug as well as other felt and sewing crafts such as pins, bags and pillows, which followed shortly after.

2.What inspires you or helps you create?

Thankfully, I find I rarely have blocks in terms of creating. I like to change things up a bit if I feel stuck but I'm generally inspired to make things on a daily basis. My plush's stories are often inspired by people in my life and lots of other silly things in general. I find the one thing I can't force myself to do is write. I have to let ideas come when they do; and if they don't, I just take a break by sewing up an Owl Mama, a bag or knitting some straps.

3.What do you love most about being a crafter/artist?

I just love making things from nothing. If what I make brings a smile to someone's face, it's a complete plus.


4.What one thing would you tell a new designer that you wish you had known when you first started?

Be prepared for your work to consume you. You will get back what you put in to it if you want. And don't forget to give yourself some time off!

5.Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully, doing more of the same but on a larger scale!
Actually, I've never been good at this question. I've never been the life-plan sort...which may be why I now am a "toy-maker" of sorts.
I just want to be doing what I love with the people I love close by.

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Fantastic interview :)

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Ah the five year plan question gets me too. I liked her answer. because I am sooo not where I thought I would be with my life plan. Glad she loves what she is doing and can continue that..

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online