Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Featured Artist- Mindless Pursuits

Keith at Mindless Pursuits has a way with people. He can make you feel like the most special person in the room, and not because he is faking it, but because he really believes that way. His paintings are no different. They draw the eye and make it known they are the most special thing in the room, too!

1.Tell us a little about your craft, what is it and how did you get started in it?
I like to work in multiple crafts, but my principal interest are painting and sewing. Painting has been a passion of mine since I was young, and thought that being a good painter meant being able to draw then paint the little designs in the back of TV Guide in the hopes of being accepted to a prestigious 'art school.' As I grew up, I realized that 'Bongo the Bear' wasn't going to be my key to success and worked more on abstract paintings.

When I was in my twenties, I stopped painting for close to a decade. During this time I taught myself how to sew simply as a matter of fulfilling an interest in making some clothing for my little girls. Earlier this year I returned to painting, and am now slowly combining both abilities by hand-painting designs on sewn items.

2.What inspires you or helps you create?
Nature is my biggest inspiration. I have a deep and abiding love of sakura (cherry blossoms) and those tend to act as my signature, but I also paint other flowers and landscapes. Increasingly, I am drawn to paint some of the darker side of nature, though I haven't unveiled any of that work yet. It's safe to say though, that a simple flower will always be my greatest inspiration.

3.What do you love most about being a crafter/artist?
What isn't there to love? I love having the ability to create and interpret the beauty and style of things that I love. I enjoy the process of creation as opposed to destruction. I take pride in the quality of the items I design. Mostly, I enjoy being able to share the good feelings within me through the various art and projects I complete.

4.What one thing would you tell a new designer that you wish you had known when you first started?
It's OK to start small and to paint the same thing repeatedly until you feel you've mastered your own style and technique. Too often, we feel pressured to show our diversity and then become frustrated because we lose enjoyment of the process because we lose our confidence in ourselves. Take your time and enjoy learning and building your form.

5. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Still happily painting flowers and bringing my particular floral aesthetic into apparel and needlefelted designs. What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

goodkarma said...

your intro for keith couldn't be more spot on. it's been a pleasure getting to know him and seeing his artwork evolve.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online