Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Featured Artist- Caged Bird Sings

I have always loved wind chimes, my mother had them hanging in front of the windows when I was a child and the spring breeze would always fill our house with their melodic tinkling. When browsing Etsy a few weeks ago stumbled across artist Caged Bird Sings and fell in love with these amazing and unique chimes!

1.Tell us a little about your craft, what is it and how did you get started in it?


I create stained glass wind chimes using hemp, beads, and wood. My mom used to make candle holders with stained glass until it became a popular Wal-mart ,etc item. I used to help her make some of 'em and I simply loved stained glass... the variants of colors... the difference between in the house vs. outside in the sun, that sort of thing. My mom had tons of scraps that she bought from a brick and mortar stained glass shop owner and helped me to create my first wind chime. I was browsing the art site that I post my work on and that one day I saw a link to Etsy, clicked it, and thought "I can sell these..." and BAM! Here I am, 1 year later. I still shop with the same brick and mortar artist :) he helps me out a lot by saving his scraps of glass for me to pick up. At first I had used a soldering technique and fishing wire, but something about it wasn't very complete to me, and the soldering is messy and time consuming. HEMP! Have been using the stuff ever since :).

2.What inspires you or helps you create?

My mom, my friends, family, life in general. A lot of the times I walk across campus to clear my head, play soothing ipod music and stare the entire walk up into the trees. This usually causes collisions with other students but I don't like people who are constantly on their cell phones anyway :) ahahah. Music is also a big thing to me, once I get a certain vibe and sweat going I can cruise through any project.

3.What do you love most about being a crafter/artist?

The freedom and giddiness I get walking around the dorm room with my artwork, taking pictures of it, and the thrill of someone in another state, country, city, wherever saying "wow!" and purchasing something I made with my own two hands. Its an uplifting feeling to say the least.

4.What one thing would you tell a new designer that you wish you had known when you first started?

You're not just creating artwork or a craft for yourself and personal enjoyment anymore. Once you become a seller you need to have fun with what you're doing, but let the fact that you inspire others enough for them to spend REAL money on you is a huge deal. My mom told me that :).

5.Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully not still in college haha! I hope to have my teaching and art degree and be teaching middle school history during the year, and owning a store during the summer and winter breaks. I think owning a brick and mortar shop is big for everyone but hearing and seeing my chimes in a window of a shop is something I always fantasize about.

1 comment:

Erin M. said...

Thank you so much for featuring me! :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online