Sunday, September 21, 2008

T'is the season...


For holiday shows and bazaars! Every October like clockwork the signs start appearing on street corners- "School craft show this way", "Holiday Arts & Crafts next left". If you are like me, you follow these signs. My reasons are twofold. 1- to meet and support other artists, and 2- to see if future shows would fit my items.

The holiday shows are some of the best in my opinion for the craft show newbie. They are usually annual events that have been going on for several years so traffic isn't a problem. Many of them are put on by schools or churches which usually means low entry fee's and guaranteed traffic from school supporters. Another benefit of the holiday shows are that they are usually inside, so no tent is required and weather isn't an issue.

Holiday shows easily make up at least 40% of my annual income, more some years. In comparison, the other big show season, spring, only makes up about 15%. Even though I am working to expand my business into the online and wholesale marketplace so I won't be so dependent on shows, I don't see myself giving them up in the near future. I enjoy them to much! There is just nothing like meeting your customers face to face as well as other artists.
So, without further ado, I bring you my list of must haves for the holiday show season!

1) Plenty of items. Bring twice what you think you will need.

2) Tables and chairs, if not provided.

3) Table cloth and displays. Make sure the cloth is long enough to reach the floor so you can hide all your extra stock under it!

4) Promo items. Business cards, promo packs, fliers, wholesale information. And don't forget to hand them out!

5) Money apron or cash box. I personally prefer an apron.

6) Packaging materials. Bags, boxes, tissue paper, etc.

7) A guest book and pens to keep track of your new customers and start your mailing list.

8) A mirror if you sell wearable items.

9) Extra price tags.

10) Inventory list and receipt pad.

11) Credit card gear if you accept them.

12) A lunch, plenty of water, and any meds you may need. I always bring Tylenol because strong scents give me headaches, that way I am prepared if my booth is near someone who sells scented items.

13) Calculator, pens, tape, scissors, needle and thread, paper towels, camera and any other odds and ends you may need.

This list isn't all inclusive by any means, but it is a good basic list to get you started. Good luck in all your endeavors!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online