Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Featured Artist- 2039 Rebellion

I am going to be guilty of a little nepotism this week and feature a very talented artist that also just happens to be my doting husband. Andrew at 2039 Rebellion sells prints from his manga series (you can read it for free at 2039rebellion.com) and prints and other items featuring his amusing cream puffs.

1.Tell us a little about your craft, what is it and how did you get started in it?

I more or less focus on illustration. My main areas are digital painting as well as traditional hand drawn works, with a little help of 2D, or 3D computer magic thrown in for good measure. At the moment my main focus has been on a Manga ( Japaneses comic book) series Called Aikoku Tora 2039; Hani ( Aikoku tora meaning mourning tiger, as well as the name of the main character. Hani being a noun "spirit of rebellion")

I started creating small comic books with my cousin when I was about 7. They were quite silly at first as far as the story lines went, but over time I built onto my characters and stories, and introduced new ones to fit the times. I came up with 2039 officially about 11 years ago, but had been playing with the idea a few years earlier following the big boom in Anime and Manga to the U.S.

2.What inspires you or helps you create?

A lot of my inspiration stems from a healthy dose of myth and folk lore, social and political climates and trends, and twisted all up with a dash of science to help me manipulate the world I'm portraying into something familiar but different.

In 2039, the main body of this story arch takes place in San Fransisco, a city well known around the world, so it's easy for people to see it and say "hey, I've been on that road," or "I saw pictures of that building before" and be comfortable in the setting. But I don't want them too comfortable, that's where I tend to borrow from science and find ways to alter or devastate the location to fit the mood the story is trying to convey. It's just fun to find natural, realistic ways to turn the world upside down and predict how the human population would respond.


3.What do you love most about being a crafter/artist?

The thing I love the most is being able to tell a interesting story and see others entertained by it. Sometimes I think that had I been born thousands of years ago I would have been a shaman of a tribe, sitting with other people around a fire using magic to enhance the stories of the gods I'm telling. An odd way to look at it I know, but I really believe that the entertainment and awe on another's face as they read or listen to a story I write, or illustrate is the most rewarding aspect.

...that being said, merchandising is a nice perk too.

4.What one thing would you tell a new designer that you wish you had known when you first started?

Why would I want to give them tips that could make them a serious competitor that much sooner? (laughs) In all seriousness, the main thing I would cover is don't second guess your gut instincts, be it in the story your trying to tell, or the look you want to have. The second bit of advice is a lot of patience and drive. You can't make a splash in this world or field without applying yourself. It may take years to finally pull in a fan base or an audience (and even I'm still working on expanding that part ), but thats no reason to throw everything to the side when it's not an over night sensation.

5.Where do you see yourself in five years?

Where do I see myself in five years?... I really would love to say that I will be sitting at home watching a movie, which happens to be an Anime adaptation of one of my series, while packing to attend several big comic and manga conventions. I know that is someplace I could be, but I'm aware its going to be a tough road to get there, but that is a path I chose to head down long ago, I can't let the boulders in the road stop me from following it to it's end.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online