Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Featured Artist- Crickets Creations

Celeste at Crickets Creations specializes in luxurious and fun hand knit scarves. When you visit her shop, you realize scarves aren't just for winter anymore. Whatever the season and whatever your mood, she has it!

1.Tell us a little about your craft, what is it and how did you get started in it?

I design & craft one-of-a-kind, handmade scarves from vintage & novelty yarns, and have sold over 300 worldwide since August 2007! I have sensitive skin myself, so I make every piece super-soft, comfy & nurturing. I love the glamour of wearing scarves in every season, so I offer a large variety of colors, thicknesses & styles.

I took an elective class when I was eight years old. From there, I studied knitting books and tried out patterns. Now I design all my own work.

2.What inspires you or helps you create?

My muse, inspiration & support is my sweetie, Nicky. I made my very first scarf for him (see that first scarf, modeled by Nicky at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cricketscreations/2181004294/in/set-72157603673305394/). He loved it so much that he said, "You could sell these and people would love 'em!" I guess he was right.

I love scarves that are reminiscent of everything that either gives us life or brings joy to our lives. I have nature themed scarves (Sea Colors or Embers & Ashes, for example), food themed scarves (Chocolate Mint and Oat Bran Muffin are two current favorites) and fun-themed scarves (Carnival or Gothic Disco). My favorite inspirations are animals (Macaw, Octopus, Animal Print, etc). 3.What do you love most about being a crafter?

The colors & textures of fiber slipping through my fingers are as mesmerizing as flickering fire flames or a cool, gliding river. It’s like meditation. I typically work with over 10 different yarns per scarf; it’s my creative playtime!

4.What one thing would you tell a new
designer that you wish you had known when you first started?

The best way that I’ve been able to sell almost 300 scarves in less than a year is to have fun, create a quality product, and cherish the many people who choose multiple scarves for themselves or for gifts. It’s been a blast and I appreciate the opportunity! I offer a special price of only $30 per scarf to those who contact me before checking out, because I so enjoy the chance to interact with my customers and get to know them as people or even friends.
5.Where do you see yourself in five years?

Right here in Southern Utah near the Grand Canyon, knitting a special order scarf in the garden under one of our big trees.

11 comments:

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Jenny, thank you sooooooo much for such a wonderful post--your generosity is really touching!
Celeste (Crickets)

Vinci Family said...

What a great review! I love Celeste's scarves - they are beautiful!

John said...

Very nice article, love the beautiful scarves !!

Kara said...

I love this interview! What a great blog!

K. McMinn said...

What a fantastic interview with one of my favourite Etsy sellers!!

earlybird said...

Wonderful interview! Celeste's scarves are to die for!!

Ellen said...

Great interview! I have one of Cricket's Creations and I love it! It's everything she says it is and more!

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Thank you, everyone and Rosanna, so nice to see what you look like...I think your two, current Crickets scarves picks will look GREAT on you!

Unknown said...

I love the flowers on the scarf.

yarrow1 said...

Cricket is as nice as her scarves are..ahe also is a real inspiration.

Deborah said...

i personally have two of crickets scarves and love love love them...i get a ton of compliments, and they make me feel totally trendy! quality work and a very professional and savvy business woman!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online